Tuesday 10 January 2012

C1 Literary Mayhem No.10 - 1951 Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger


before you read this - I am still awaiting your riddles, and also - we may find some time to discuss the books you've read or got during Christmas. Looking forward to  literary 2012 with you, O.K.

Dear snowed-in reader,

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, an what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them. They're quite touchy about anything like that, especially my father. They're nice and all--I'm not saying that--but they're also touchy as hell. Besides, I'm not going to tell you my whole goddam autobiography or anything. I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy.


Who am I? My name is Holden Caulfield and I am the storyteller and main character of The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, a controversial youth novel published in 1951 and being one of the best novels of the past century.


RESOURCES
The Catcher in the Rye v. The Road, which we're going to read next week. They're both great books, but this is a great argument.

NOTE
on the first chapter:

STUDY QUESTIONS:

Chapter 1 Questions
Study Questions 
1. Who is Holden Caulfield?
2. Who is D.B., and why is Holden somewhat contemptuous of him?
3. What is the reality of Pencey Prep in contrast to the advertisements, as seen by Holden?
4. Why does Holden watch the game from the hill?
5. Who is Selma Thurmer, and why did Holden like her?
6. Who is Mr. Spencer, and why was Holden going to visit him?
7. Why was Holden trying to "feel" some kind of good-bye?
8. What does Holden think about the other students who attend Pencey?
9. How popular was the sport of polo at Pencey Prep?
10. Does Holden blame others for his flunking out of school? 





Chapter 2 Questions and Answers 
Study Questions 
1. What had Mr. Spencer bought and shown the boys when they were visiting him one Sunday?
2. What advice did Dr. Thurmer give to Holden?
3. Did Holden agree with Dr. Thurmer's description of life as a game? Explain your answer.
4. Was Pencey Prep really the fourth school from which Holden was asked to leave? Explain your answer.
5. What did Holden think about Mr. Spencer's description of his parents as "grand people"?
6. Why did Holden write Mr. Spencer a note at the end of his examination paper?
7. What was Holden thinking about while he said the following: "I told him I was a real moron, and all that stuff. I told him how I would've done exactly the same thing if I'd been in his place, and how most people didn't appreciate how tough it is being a teacher."
8. Why did Holden leave Elkton Hills School?
9. What excuse did Holden give Mr. Spencer for having to end the visit?
10. Holden told Mr. Spencer not to worry about him. What reason did he give for not worrying? 

No comments:

Post a Comment